Sustainable Garden Rooms
At workroom we pride ourselves on creating sustainable garden rooms. This doesn’t just involve using sustainably sourced materials, but ensuring that all parts of our company are environmentally focused.
What are we doing for our customers, our team and the environment?
We’re an ethical business that strives to do everything we can to protect the Planet. We have a commitment to sustainability that shapes our approach to business.
Here you can read what we are doing to protect the planet and do business fairly, the way we believe it should be done.
- We source local, sustainable materials for all our sustainable garden rooms. From our 100% ethical sheep’s wool insulation to our FSC-rated timber doors and windows. You can view a complete list of our sustainable materials here.
- We know where all of our products have come from and aim to have total visibility of the entire supply chain. We source all materials from the UK and Europe. We design and build everything you see from our workshop in Bristol.
- Our garden rooms are fitted with extra-thick 100mm thick sheep’s wool insulation, delivering class-leading U-Values.
- We plant 25 trees for every sustainable garden room we build. Every time we take an order, we donate to local charity More Trees who plant 25 trees on our behalf, creating a carbon offset of 7500 tonnes per building.
- We are a member of the Bristol Green Capital Partnership. This independent leadership organisation aims to make Bristol “a sustainable city with a high quality of life for all”.
- WE ARE A ZERO LANDFILL COMPANY! 98% of the waste we create gets recycled or repurposed, anything else gets incinerated and turned into clean energy. We compost all our sawdust, recycle all paper and card, donate our wood offcuts to local initiatives such as the Bristol Wood Recycling Project or turn them into fuel to heat our workshop.
- We intend to become a net-zero carbon company by 2022.
We aim to do business the right way, treating all our customers, suppliers and our team with respect. Here’s what we are doing:
- We believe in offering a great product at a fair price. Our pricing is completely transparent with no hidden extra costs.
- We bank with The Cooperative Bank, which will only invest our money into renewable and ethical projects and schemes.
- We employ responsibly, paying every team member over and above a living wage.
- We’re a flexible employer, amongst other things offering all team members the option of working a 9-day fortnight.
- Every year, we offer all team members a profit share. They’ve helped every sustainable garden room and, therefore, our success - they deserve to take a cut.
- We donate a portion of our profits every year to local initiatives that share our view on the importance of environmental and social causes.
Our sustainable garden rooms are installed on corrosion-resistant galvanised steel screw piles (unless an adequate concrete pad exists). Steel piles are low impact, recyclable and movable, unlike concrete. It’s a solid and sustainable base to build on.
800w Premium WIFI controlled wall heater. We have not cut any corners when selecting the perfect heater for your workroom. Our wall mounted heaters are available in a selection of matte finish colours, and can be controlled using either the built in thermostat, or using an app on you IOS or Android device.
Most of our garden rooms are fitted with 100% British ethical wool carpet, on top of a recycled carpet underlay. It’s not only a superb and sustainable material; it provides fantastic thermal insulation and creates better acoustics.
190mm wide plank oiled boards. The boards feature large knots, splits and cracks characteristic of oak that's been underfoot for decades. Oil finishes the surface with a muted matt look. By Woodpecker Flooring.
Every piece of timber in your workroom is either FSC or PEFC certified. For every tree cut down, five new trees will be planted in their place.
Our FSC-rated Siberian Larch cladding from NOR Clad Ltd in Bristol. Siberian Larch is the most durable species of coniferous softwood. This beautiful timber will naturally weather to a gorgeous silvery grey. It will provide years of protection and enjoyment for your workroom.
We insulate all floors, walls and ceilings in your garden room with 100mm thick and 100% ethical British sheep’s wool insulation. This ethical material choice is key to creating a sustainable garden room. Our sheep’s wool insulation will last longer than synthetic insulation while also having improved thermal insulation values.
We use a high grade 12mm FSC plywood to build all inner walls and ceilings. The wood is finished with low VOC paints to provide a contemporary and clean finish. Using panelling, we can achieve a flawless fit, with neat express joints between the floor and ceiling. Light wood grain may still be visible under the paint finish, which adds a natural feel to the building. If you prefer, we can leave panels raw and unvarnished. (Talk to us if you would like a quote for this option.)
Nine-Zero Ltd makes our solid timber doors in Cornwall. They use FSC rated timber sourced from sustainable forests and use low-VOC paints. Nine-zero employ sustainable manufacturing methods and source all their energy from renewable sources. All windows and doors are fitted with argon-filled double glazing, which provides exceptional insulation that lowers your heating bills.
We offer the choice of locally hand-made curtains to any workroom purchase. These curtains are made with thermal cotton interlining, and hang on forged hooks and brackets. The range of fabrics we offer are made from recycled linen and PES plastics.
We offer the choice to add a beautiful and soft feature cork wall. We use a feature cork product called Amorim Dekwall from Puretree Cork. Cork is one of the most sustainable materials available. Not only will this feature wall look stunning and enable you to pin up pictures, samples or notes above your desk. A cork wall will assist with sound and heat insulation.
There is a minimum of three double power points fitted to every office. All lighting is low voltage LED to keep energy bills as low as possible. Your workroom comes fully wired up to an external fuse board. (You will need to arrange an electrician to connect your workroom power to your home’s mains supply.)
Internal walls and ceilings are painted in genuine Farrow & Ball low VOC estate emulsion from our colour range. Door and window colours are also selected from the Farrow & Ball colour range.
All buildings come with a hugely durable EDPM roof. This incredible material is guaranteed to protect from leaks for 30-years. It’s maintenance-free. On top of the rubber layer, we install a green sedum roof system. This adds a beautiful organic look and provides an additional layer of insulation and a natural habitat for insects, bugs and birds.
Require more information?